Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Tree Trimming 2009

Let me tell you a little story. I believe there are two types of people in this world: Those who believe that a Christmas tree should be real, and those who believe one of our most important holidays can be celebrated with a piece of plastic.

Guess which camp I fall into?

The point is that every year at Christmas, I insist that we get a real Christmas tree. I use the word insist because there has always been a slight amount of arm-twisting and persuasion going on when it comes to getting a tree. You see, Maria is, shall we say, "comfortable" with the idea that a plastic tree is just as meaningful as it's authentic counterpart. She always indulged my real tree fantasy, but all the while singing the praises of fake. (It should be noted that she is always the ones who waters the real tree, takes care of it, and then picks of the pine needles it leaves behind, so she has a point that fake trees have some merit!)

Three years ago, when we were knee-deep in 6-month old twins, i broke down and bought (a lovely) fake Christmas tree, which we have used for the past two seasons.

So imagine my surprise (and delight) when a few weeks ago Maria said to me, out of nowhere, "I think we should get a real Christmas tree this year."

Cindy Loo-Hoo to the rescue!!!

I have never been so happy than to leave the fake-but-lovely Christmas tree in its box in the basement, hopefully never to see the light of day again.

Finally, a word about Christmas tree decorating: It's Not Done 'Til Its Overdone!!!

No comments: